Visit Mount Teide with the family and take a cable car ride for families
Are you planning a Mount Teide family excursion? If you are looking for Tenerife family activities to visit Mount Teide with the family, our guided tour is the perfect opportunity to visit Teide with your children and enjoy the volcano as a family.
This activity allows you to visit Mount Teide with the family and enjoy a guided tour to the Pico Viejo viewpoint.
After a cable car ride for families in the company of an official guide you will visit Teide with your children and spend an informative and fun day on the volcano. Along with other families, you will discover the flora, fauna and geology of the National Park while you follow the spectacular footpath to the Pico Viejo viewpoint.
Did you know that at the end of the path to the Pico Viejo viewpoint, which you will reach when you come visit Mount Teide with the family, you will find impressive views of La Gomera, El Hierro and La Palma, as well as the awe-inspiring 800-metre-diameter crater of Pico Viejo, which was at one time filled with a lake of lava?
Make a date for the whole family to visit Teide with your children! You will cherish the look of amazement on your children’s faces when they place their hands near the fumaroles and feel the heat of the volcano. Watching them behold the world at their feet from the heights is priceless.
- A guided tour suitable for families with children over 5 years old
- A walk to the Pico Viejo viewpoint with a guide and a cable car ride for families
- Spectacular views of the Park and the neighbouring islands
- Visit Mount Teide with the family and discover the fauna, flora and volcanic landscape of the Teide National Park
- Teide Cable Car ride for families − return ticket
- Guided tour to the Pico Viejo viewpoint
What's not included...
- Food and drinks
- Access for visitors with physical disabilities or motor impairments
- Cable Car ticket
- Guided tour to the viewpoint of Pico Viejo
- Spanish or English-speaking guide
- Permit to ascend the peak of Teide
- Access for visitors with physical disabilities or motor impairments
- Guide in other language than Spanish or English
The meeting time is set depending on the day. You can check it when booking for a specific day. It will also figure on the booking voucher which you will receive to produce upon your arrival.
The meeting point is at the cable car base station, next to the boarding area, 15 minutes before the activity is scheduled to start.
When planning to visit Mount Teide with the family you must be prepared for the possibility of extreme heat or extreme cold depending on the time of year when your special guided family visit to the Pico Viejo viewpoint takes place.
Recommendations for families
- Wear warm clothing and proper footwear.
- Protect yourself from sunstroke.
- Due to the elevated luminosity, wear sunglasses.
- Take plenty of water on hikes.
Teide Cable Car is located within a protected national park and therefore it is necessary to follow a series of basic rules of civic behaviour, respectful of the natural environment, such as not littering or taking rocks, plants or animals. It is prohibited to make fire, loud noises or to camp.
- People with heart problems and pregnant women are not allowed to ascend due to the risk that high altitude poses to their health. Families are advised to consult their doctor before planning their visit if any member of the family has a health condition.
- In accordance with current regulations, persons with any physical disability or motor impairment are not permitted to make the ascent by cable car, because of the potential risks if the vehicle has to be evacuated.
- It is essential to bear in mind that in the event of the failure of the cable car system due to unexpected technical reasons, passengers already at the upper station will have to make their descent on foot and using steep mountain paths.
- Children under 5 are not allowed to participate in this activity.
It is absolutely necessary to produce the booking confirmation, either printed or displayed on a mobile device.
Reservations may be cancelled or the date of the activity may be changed free of charge up to 24 hours prior to the activity. After this period, 100% of the amount will be charged.
In the event that the cable car has to close on the day of your Mount Teide family excursion due to reasons beyond our control, adverse weather conditions or failure of the cable car facilities, an alternative excursion will be arranged to visit Mount Teide with the family and there will be no refund of the amount paid for the excursion.
Alternative excursion to visit Mount Teide with the family if it is not possible to use the Cable Car facilities on the day of your special Cable Car guided family visit:
ROQUES DE GARCÍA TRAIL
End: La Ruleta viewpoint.
Duration: approx. 2.5 hours.
Distance: 3.5 km.
Los Roques is an alignment of ditches, pitons and piles of various volcanic materials; it constitutes the division between the two semicalderas into which the vast caldera of Las Cañadas is divided. The route runs around Los Roques on its first stretch through the northeastern caldera, and then descends into the southwestern one.
Date changes are valid for 1 year provided that the vouchers have not been redeemed. Any change of date or cancellation must be made within a period of no more than 30 days from the date of the initial booking. Up to 3 date changes are permitted.
The Teide Cable Car base station has a free car park with 220 parking spaces, which is open from 8am to 6pm.
The base station’s facilities include an information centre and a shop.
There are public toilets at the Teide Cable Car’s base station.
In case of tickets which include a discount for children or local residents, a supporting document is required to prove entitlement to discount.
Where to find us
Meet your guide at the Teide Cable Car base station.
Street: TF-21 motorway, km 43 - Teide National Park
Postal code: 38300 Municipality: La Orotava
Teide Cable Car is well connected by roads, and can be easily reached from any point of the island.
If the family is in the northern part of Tenerife
- Take the TF-21 motorway which connects La Orotava with El Portillo de la Villa and crosses the Teide National Park. The Cable Car is at km 43. (N28º 15' 17" W16º 37' 33")
- Take the TF-23 motorway from Boca de Tauce to Chío, which connects with TF-21.
- Titsa bus, Route 348 Puerto de La Cruz – Las Cañadas del Teide. Departure times: 9.15am from Puerto de la Cruz, with stops in La Orotava, Montaña Blanca (trail to the Altavista Mountain Refuge) and Teide Cable Car, and return from the Teide Cable Car departing at 4.00pm.
If the family is in the southern part of Tenerife
- Take the TF-21 motorway from Vilaflor to Teide National Park, the route of access for the tourist areas of Playa de Américas and Los Cristianos.
- Titsa bus (guagua), Route 342 Playa de Las Américas - Las Cañadas del Teide. Departure times: 9.15am from Las Américas, with stops in Los Cristianos (9.30am), Teide Cable Car and Montaña Blanca (ascent on foot to the Altavista Refuge). Return from the Teide Cable Car departing at 3.30pm.
If the family is close to Santa Cruz or La Laguna
- Take the TF-24 motorway from La Laguna to Portillo de la Villa (La Esperanza Motorway), which connects with TF-21 that will take you to the Teide cable car base station at km 43.
Mt. Teide is approximately an hour’s drive from any point on the island.
- Santa Cruz: 64 km
- La Laguna: 55 km
- Puerto de la Cruz: 45 km
- Los Gigantes: 52 km
- Los Cristianos: 47 km
Frequently asked questions
No, pets are not allowed.
Children under 5 cannot use this service.
Large pieces of luggage are not allowed on board.
We do not have a left-luggage facility.
She cannot go up by cable car whilst pregnant, as the ascent involves a sudden change in pressure and level of oxygen.
It is not necessary. It can be downloaded and displayed on the screen of any mobile device (phone, tablet, etc.).
Fantastic experience and service.